Food Stall Licence
Food Stall Licence
The licence is valid for one year. However, licensees are given the option to pay $64 for a Food Stall Licence that is valid for two years.
If you are taking over an existing food stall, please ensure that the previous licensee had surrendered/cancelled his licence before you submit an application for the licence. Otherwise, there will be a delay in processing your application.
The criteria for approval are as follows:
- Eligibility of Applicant Only the following can apply for a licence: (a) Singaporean or Permanent Resident for an individual (b) Company registered with the Accounting & Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) (c) Association/Society registered with Registrar of Societies
Note: Application by a firm registered as a Business with ACRA (formerly RCB) cannot be accepted. The sole proprietor or active partner must apply for a licence in his name.
Medisave Contributions For self-employed persons, please ensure that your Medisave contributions are paid before applying for a licence.
Submission of Relevant Supporting Documents Please note that we will take past enforcement record(s) into consideration for new licence applications and/or renewal.
Do I need to apply for this licence? You will need to apply for a Food Stall Licence if you intend to operate a retail food stall where food and/or drink are sold wholly by retail. It is a requirement under the Environmental Public Health Act. The purpose of licensing is to ensure cleanliness and food safety in food retail outlets and to prevent food-borne diseases.
Examples of businesses that require a food stall licence are food stalls in private eating houses, coffeeshops, food courts, canteens, private markets.
If you are interested in operating a hawker stall in a NEA-managed food centre/market, you need to first bid for a food stall in NEA’s tender. Once you have secured a food stall in a successful bid and signed the tenancy agreement with NEA, a hawker stall licence will then be issued to you by the Singapore Food Agency (SFA).
For enquiries on hawker stall licence, you may wish to contact:
Hawkers Centre Division National Environment Agency HDB Hub, East Wing, #26-01 480 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh Singapore 310480 Tel: 1800-2255632
STEPS DESCRIPTION SERVICE STANDARD Step 1 Submit complete application in GoBusiness
- For complete application with layout plan and tenancy agreement attached, SFA will process the application within 5 working days.
- For incomplete application and without layout plan or tenancy agreement, SFA will reject the application.
Existing Licensed Premises
If you are taking over a food stall, you should engage the main operator to ensure the previous licensee has cancelled the licence to avoid delays. Otherwise, SFA will require 2 weeks to engage the food stall licensee for cancellation of the licence.
5 working days if application is complete and in order Step 2 Make payment after licence approval
Upon full compliance to licensing requirements and submission of required documents, SFA will approve the application. You will receive a notification via email and GoBusiness within 5 working days.
- For applicants with existing GIRO arrangement with SFA, you may start business after receiving SFA’s email approval}
- For applicants not on GIRO, you may start your business after you have made payment via AXS or GoBusiness.
Licensees can print their own licences upon successful payment made on or after 1 January 2022.
5 working days if application is complete and in order
1) How soon can I hear from SFA after I submit my application?
Refer to Step 1. When you submit an application for a food stall licence, SFA will respond to you within 5 working days.
If you are taking over a food stall where the current licence is valid, you should engage the main operator to ensure the previous licensee has cancelled the licence so as not to delay your application. Otherwise, SFA will require 2 weeks to engage the food stall licensee for cancellation of licence.
2) How soon will my application be approved?
Refer to Step 2. SFA will approve the application within 5 working days upon applicant’s full compliance to licensing requirements and submission of required documents.
3) When can I commence business?
Refer to Step 2 on when you may commence business.
For general enquiries or enquiries regarding your application status, please submit your enquiry and GoBusiness application ID through SFA’s online feedback form.
If you have not submitted your application, you may do so on our website.
- Basic Food Hygiene Certificate / Refresher Food Hygiene Certificate of food handlers
- Layout plan of premises (in scaled metric units)
- Tenancy agreement
The Food Stall Licence costs $32 and is valid for one year except for food stalls in primary, secondary and junior college school canteens. Licensees are given the option to pay $64 for a Food Stall Licence that is valid for two years.
Please note that no refunds will be allowed once payment has been made.